Welcome to the Department of Dyes & Chemical Engineering (DCE), Bangladesh University of Textiles (BUTEX). So far, BUTEX has produced thousands of textile graduates to fulfill the demand of different branches of textiles such as spinning, weaving, knitting, dyeing & finishing, apparel manufacturing, management and marketing. However, the necessity of manufacturing of dyes and chemicals used in textiles remained unfocused. A big amount of foreign currency is remitting out from the country to import the dyes and chemicals every year. Report reveals that the current annual market demand of dyes and chemicals in the textile industry of Bangladesh is about US$500 million which will reach near about $1 billion to achieve the milestone export target of US$50 billion by 2021 from US$28.5 billion in 2016. Understanding the future needs for economic growth of Bangladesh, BUTEX has decided to open the department of DCE in 2016 under the Faculty of Textile Chemical Engineering. The target is to create the academic, technical and business leaders for today and tomorrow who will employ the skills sets of industrial processes and scientific advances. We believe dyes and chemical engineering will be the key to create local industry to support a healthier, cleaner, greener and more efficient textile industry.
The curriculum of the program focuses on fibre-forming polymers, textile chemistry & chemical analysis, and synthesis of dyes & chemicals. The department also focuses on the application of chemicals and colorants in various textile processing such as pretreatment, dyeing, printing, finishing, and pollution control. The teachers and staffs of the department are very cordial and careful to improve the student’s emotional maturity, management capacity, leadership skills, and social responsibility.
We aspire to create a unique multidisciplinary research environment where collaboration is the key; within the departments, faculties and between industry. The strength of DCE is its people and we strongly welcome the very best staff, students and researchers from around the country and world to become part of our mission. We encourage exceptional and highly motivated students to consider our range of engaging and stimulating research opportunities for the benefit of our country and society. The department reflects the vision and commitment of BUTEX in engaging research activities and collaboration with industry.
I wish to thank you for visiting our department.
Vision of the Department
DDCE strives to contribute in national and global through knowledge, research, and innovation in synthesis, separation, formulation, and applications of textile dyes and chemicals.
- Modernization of existing Teaching-Learning system and curriculum through incorporating Outcome-based Teaching-Learning system and curriculum
- Infrastructure and other necessary facilities such as digital classroom, labs and libraries will be developed to provide better teaching-learning and research environment
- Develop a Quality Culture through Teaching-Learning, Staff Development, Student Activities and Management system
- Promote Research and Innovation through strong industry linkage and collaboration with other local and global research and educational institutions
- Active contribution in policy making within the University, Country and Global
The program is designed to fulfill the following specific objectives:
- To provide basic and in-depth knowledge and know-how to the students in the area of colour chemistry, textile chemicals, process technology, and applications
- To provide need-based quality education for the students to meet the industry requirements in local and global
- To engage students in independent research design and personal development & management through a combination of multidisciplinary course works and research, in combination with seminar, assignment, competition, exhibition and other co-curricular activities;
- Promote students to link-up with local and global textile chemicals and dyestuffs manufacturing companies and industries so that the students can understand the real life application, effectiveness, effects & impacts, and problems
- Nurture a motivating academic environment through exchange and research collaboration with local and international organizations and professionals
- Planting social values & responsibilities, justice, environmental awareness, and ethics in the mind of students
After completion of B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Dyes & Chemicals) program the students will be able to:
- Know the basic concepts of synthesizing and formulating the chemicals and colorants used in textile processing
- Understand the properties and application of textile chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries
- Know the effects and impacts of textile chemicals, colorants and auxiliaries on environment and ecology
- Assess and analyze the nature, strength and purity of chemicals
- Identify and analyze the root causes of problems and probable solutions by using analytical equipment and instruments
- Compare and Characterize the existing methods, identify flaws in existing methods, and design or re-design of the methods
- Exercise the qualities of scholarly attainment and manners, sense of responsibility and accountability in the familial, professional, and, social environment
- Demonstrate sound capacity to conduct independent research and deliver effective presentation
- Extend the frontier of acquired knowledge through further independent learning, and, thus, add to existing knowledge bank
- Be motivated graduates upholding social values & responsibilities, ethics & justice, and respect to laws and environment
B. Sc. in Textile Engineering (Dyes & Chemicals)
- Number of Seats: 40
- Number of Semester: 08 (6 months each)
- Total Credit: 165
For details and updates on admission procedure please visit this page.